Monday, February 02, 2009

Yeah, I am still here - thanks to those of you who have emailed me or text me to ask if I am doing ok and if I am going to blog again.

6 weeks have past and in that time, we have had Christmas, New Year, my birthday, 3rd anniversary of Jude's passing and so much more.

I finished a 6 week challenge with fellow mums on the parenting forum - and ended it 800gms heavier than when I started! Oooooops *blush* but a challenge over Christmas and New Year was pretty damn hard! Started a new one last week, and with the first weigh in this morning - I stayed the same! Not such a great start but surely it can only get better.... I hope! I am only approx 11 kilos away from my first starting weight watchers back in Feb 2003! Bloody scary so I do need to get my Ass into gear but first I need motivation and confidence in myself! One would think that being so close to my heaviest weight would be enough motivation but it doesn't seem to be enough at the moment. I have a photo of me at my heaviest (and my lightest just before falling pregnant) at work, but it doesn't stop me snacking on the wrong foods.

I saw my Dr a couple of weeks ago and wanted to discuss the possibility of whether I have sleep apnea but it doesn't look likely so will just keep going and see how things go. I also discussed with her the possibility of WLS (Weight Loss Surgery) - she is behind me 110% however I just have to find the big $$$ required (as my Insurance would top up the rest of the money) in the form of lotto or a gift as there is no way we can afford to borrow it and have repayments for it on top of our current situation! I did talk to her about going on the public waiting list as I had heard that this was now an option HOWEVER the only criteria that I fit is a young overweight female... the rest I fail in - diabetes, high BP and high cholesterol - all of that is "perfect" for me - an extremely overweight woman! And they are only funding 6 per year as well.... but she does know the surgeon personally so she is going to keep her ear to the ground and if anything changes there she will be ringing me in a flash!

Work is pretty full on, in fact this role at the moment has to be one of the busiest ones I have had for quite some time! We used to have "quiet periods" but they just don't seem to exist these days at all! Am still looking for the "ideal" role in the Hutt Valley but still haven't found it. Have seen a couple of other payroll positions recently that look interesting but still located in town... in fact one of them would be train and then a bus as well so that would be extra cost as well as extra traveling time! So that is a no go for me despite the role looking interesting but the top of the salary range is only $2K more than I am currently on so not a lot of room for movement.

We had a very quiet Christmas Day itself but a very busy Boxing Day and day after with Stephan's sisters wedding on the Saturday. Rachel had a ball and enjoyed the chocolate and presents! My sister got engaged on New Years Eve to her partner of 4 years. He has 3 young teenage girls so she certainly is taking on a lot (after raising her 3 who are in their 20's)! Her eldest is getting married at the end of March so we are looking forward to that though it does feel damn strange talking about my nephew getting married (he is 27)! Makes me feel real old! LOL

Rachel is doing really well and coming along in leaps and bounds! Her language skills are amazing and talks continuously (wonder who she gets that from LOL) and is very independent and stubborn too! But then I guess those traits are pretty typical for a 2 yr old! She is now the "leader" of her room at Creche and often takes the room "shopping" - once she says she is going - everyone wants to go and follows her to the pretend shops etc! We had a one off success with her on the toilet but nothing since then - we are not pushing it at all - just letting her go when she wants to go and we do ask her each morning and night.... and if she doesn't want to go then we just let her be.

Christmas Morning


With "bum" cream on her face etc - think she was imitating daddy shaving!


On Nana D's birthday


Right, it's almost 10pm so time I was in bed... catch ya all later :)

8 comments:

Jaxx said...

Great to see an update and photo's..... and good luck with the weigh loss unless we are in the right frame of mind it is near impossible.... take care :-)

Janine said...

great to see some pics of Rachel, it sounds like she is really growing up. It was also fantastic to catch up with you on the phone recently and I can't wait to see you if you manage to make it to Palmy for a visit

Margaret said...

Nice to see an update and photo's..... and like Jaxx says, good luck with the weigh loss. WLS is very expensive, but I guess you weigh that up with the quality of life you receive from it. I heard that it is so much cheaper in Australia??? almost like it is funded there.

Chris H said...

Hi chick, lovely photos, though I thing the 'shaving cream' would look better on your hubby! Hope she doesn't try to use a razor too!
lol
Good luck with the weight loss, it is a pain eh? I hope you can get on the waiting list.

Paula said...

Hey Karen. Great to read your update and see the pics. Weight loss is such a struggle eh? Shame we don't live closer and could buddy up for some serious walks etc. Hope to catch up soon. Take care.

Anonymous said...

good to see you back!

Jules said...

I think that I am about to be a bit outspoken so if I offend you I don't mean to. I am just putting my thoughts out there. **hearts**

Weight loss, like any other big change in our life, needs the mind to be totally on board to be achieved. At the moment you are a tired working Mum of a toddler and that is tiring to say the least. If I recall, when you lost the weight last time you regularly blogged. You hardly ever do now. You are the sort of person who needs that support, motivation, accountability and now is more than ever, the time to act. Rachel is only going to get more active and (as I know first hand) nothing sucks more than not having the energy or inclination to get out there and do all the fun things with her. For me, nothing sucks more than sitting on the park bench while I watch Blair play with the kids while my arse is too big to fit on a slide or a swing.

You should be thanking our lucky stars that you don't have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol or the other criteria for that surgery. And at the end of the day, it is major surgery, there are risks with every surgery and wouldn't you rather take the healthier, less riskier option of losing it with exercise and good nutrition?
You CAN do it, you just have to make a conscious effort to put yourself first, for your sake, for Rachel's sake and for Stephan's sake.

I think you NEED to take stock of your situtation, start making the ten minutes to blog every couple of days (you don't have to read others and comment, you can save that for once a fortnight or something). You need to get more active and you need to say NO to the snack box or the cafe or the bakery or whatever is YOUR personal downfall. Mine is biscuits. I don't have them in the house anymore. It's a sacrifice my family has not even complained about in over a month.

I will personally be your motivational buddy should you need me. I will be on your case and you can be on mine. Find your groove darling lady and start kicking butt again, you CAN do it. Believe in yourself again.

Tania said...

Karen, I have to say that I agree with a lot of what Jules said, because i've been reading your blog for a few years now and have often found it uncanny how similar we are with our attitudes to this!

I rejoined WW at 127kgs - 11kgs away from my heaviest of 138kgs! Like you, Jules and many others I know how bloody hard it is to juggle the demands of a house, kids, work etc etc but we take such bloody good care of our families and our homes, jobs etc and often neglect ourselves!

I'd be only too willing to put my hand up and offer you any support too. Just one day at a time, after a week of those "one days" you can jump on those scales to a positive result and just watch your motivation soar from there!

We know you can do it - you've done it before and you can do it again.