Sunday, January 20, 2008

Happy Birthday to me...

Yeap I am another year older today... feels just like another ordinary day to me except I am now 37 yrs old!

It's been 15 days since my last update - have meant to update a couple of times in that time but just run out of time and/or energy. Work has been diabolical - in fact I am going in to work tomorrow (Wellington Anniversary) for two or three hours to try to get my work completed in time for the payrun on Tuesday. Oh well by working tomorrow I get time and a half as well as an Alternative day off due to it being a Stat holiday.

So what have we been up to lately... not a lot really. Busy at work - busy at home so no rest for the wicked so to speak.

Rachel is now walking and getting more and more confident by the hour! Unfortunately today though she had a nasty fall while at Westfield Queensgate - she was getting impatient and grizzly in her buggy so I thought I would get her out and carry her - but no she didn't want that - she wanted to walk and as it wasn't that busy I thought ok - she can walk holding my hand... but she tripped over her own feet and I couldn't stop her hitting the floor in time - head first! Initially, we both just thought - oh another fall and picked her up and made our way into the Warehouse (accident happened just out there) but within a couple of mins, Steph looked at her and pointed this HUGE lump on her forehead - right on top of her nose between her eyes! And it was basically getting bigger as we looked at her!! So turned around, left straight away with lots of people looking at us as we made our way to the car. As we were in Lower Hutt and our Dr is there as well and is open weekends - I wanted to get her checked out to be on the safe side. They saw us basically straight away and checked her out - all ok but she will probably have two black eyes by the morning! As well as this HUGE bump on her forehead! They told us the signs to look for in concussion but all clear so far and we have past the danger zone for head injuries. Have given her a couple of doses of Pamol to help ease the pain that her head must have! Dr also completed an ACC form for Rachel - just in case we need anything further down track which was great of him.

I know this is going to be the first of many falls as she begins walking and exploring but I still feel like the worlds worst mummy! :( Steff - thanks for your call today and for trying to make me feel better - it was awesome catching up with you and all of your news! I can just see the faces on the teachers at Day care on Tuesday when I drop her off! But oh well accidents do happen.

What else.... oh yes we have decided to put our house on the market in about 4 weeks time! So in that time we have mega things to do before we list it - declutter, declutter, declutter, finish painting, clean and oh did I mention delcuttering!!! Perhaps I should get Chris down here to give me a hand as she seems to do it so well at her place!!! LOL I have booked 5 days Annual Leave for after Waitangi Day to do some serious work inside here so I have one friend who has some time off work then as well so she is going to help me one day... and then mum is going to come down for one or two days to help me too! We are going to stay within Upper Hutt but not sure exactly where at this stage...

Last night, we had birthday celebrations for my mums 70th Birthday (which had been on Thursday). It was a lovely night out but it was typical murphys law with Rachel though - all week (and tonight) she had not been going to bed until about 8.30pm or so due to the heat and some late power naps... but do you think she would do that yesterday - no way! LOL But she did end up going to sleep in the pram after I took her for a walk around the block - and it ended up being the long block as I get semi lost! LOL My brother (and nephew) from Christchurch came up for the dinner and my sister (and neice), her partner and his kids came over from the Waiarapa for it as well. It was a lovely afternoon/evening to spend with mum.

In regards to my weight... not looking the best right now. It is moving slowly and surely but in the wrong direction! :( I know what I am doing wrong - eating crap, drinking crap and doing sweet fuck all exercise! So no one to blame but myself there and I know that no one but me can do anything about it! Am seeing the Dr on Friday (have the day off work) for a couple of things so might have another chat with her about Reductil as I should be able to come off my PND meds but in all reality I don't think we can afford the $70/mth that it costs. Might have a chat with Steph and see if we can make a deal and I give it a go for 3 mths and see how I go in that period... so will have a chat with him at some stage this week.

So yeah, offically I am supposed to have a 3 day week this week with tomorrow being a Stat day and then am on Annual Leave on Friday - Drs and catching up with my great friend Jo and her daughter Maddie. So am really looking forward to that catch up :)

Anyway, it is now 9.40pm so time I was heading to bed since I am gonna be up and organised to head to work in the morning and as I have committed to picking up a work mate on the way into town I can't back out of it now! :)

Right, catch ya all later... have a good week everyone :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Karen.

Stop beating yourself up over Rachel, accidents happen and you're a great Mum! (the best one that Rachel's got).

Best of luck with the painting and the other thing....what was it....oh yes.....DECLUTTERING!

Take care and I'll try to catch up with you all in person next time I'm in Welly.

Steff

Paula said...

Happy Birthday Karen.

I have to agree with Steff above ... don't be too hard on yourselves re Rachel's accident - these things happen no matter how diligent parents are. You and Stef are wonderful caring people and Rachel's very lucky to have you two for her parents. I hope Rachel's battle marks aren't as bad as you think they'll be - and that she makes a speedy recovery from her bump.

Wow ... decluttering eh? That sounds like fun ... NOT!!! Lmao. I should be doing that down here too - but think I'll have to warm up to that idea first.

Have a good week - and don't work too hard today!

Cheers,
Paula (Christchurch)

Jaxx said...

Happy Belated Birthday :)

Jaxx

Chris H said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEETIE! Bummer about bubs head, but it happens!!! After having 8 I should know better than most how awful you feel with a baby all battered and bruised.. and feeling like people are blaming you! Good luck decluttering... I don't envy you trying to sell... we are still trying..... and I'm still decluttering! The trick is to put away EVERYTHING but the basics... no personal stuff on 'show' at all, no ornaments.... no photos.... bla bla bla.

Kim said...

Trust me, don't feel bad. Caitlyn is now just taking independant little steps and fell and banged her head so badly yesterday that when she cried she held her breath and stopped breathing. And that was with daddy looking after her.

It happens to everyone.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Hope you had a great day.

Margaret said...

Good luck with the decluttering, I put away 6 big boxes of stuff and still have too much, I just cant put away things that mean so much to me.... oh and happy birthday too.

Cheers

Margaret

Anne said...

Happy "belated" birthday.

I know you would feel bad about Rachel and her bumps - but if any consolation our grandkids look premanently bruised and battered -their doing not their parents.

Good luck with the house sale - good reason to declutter.

Weight front - we all struggle - maybe just try one day totally on track, water, points, whatever. Concentrate on just that day. Could be the kick start you want. You did it before and I reckon you can and will again.

Felicity said...

Happy Birthday for 20th Karen

OUCH poor miss Rachel bonk on the noggen sounds sore guess now though its all history ...she has probably got another bruise else where if she is anthing like my ANthony was trip step trip step bump step then run fall but its all about growing up.

hey when u finished decluttering you can head this way...i started on the 4th Jan and except for a triler buldging under the weight of crap I can't see any head way at all...lots of piles to go here and there books and magazines to hospital packed boxes for store shed stuff to be sorted everywhere.Guess we will get there

Lyn said...

happy birthday for the other day mate! Hope you had a good one. I know what you mean about birthdays being like any other day. Mine tends to go that way too.

I agree with the others ... there will be many, many more bumps ahead. It's their way of learning and if you stop them from falling or making mistakes they won't learn as well.

Tania said...

Happy belated birthday Karen!

Those first major bumps take some getting used to don't they! So do the strong wills of kids that age, Lachlan constantly wants to walk in the shops too and fights until he gets his own way. Glad to hear that Rachel was ok, good luck with the decluttering - I shudder at the memory of going through a house sale only 13 months ago.